Re: [tlug] Suse 10 file access without root?

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 12:45 AM, Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:
>>   (Now to see if the hard drive is so
>> damaged that Kubuntu won't go in...
>
> I would check it with smartctl before trying.  It could save you some
> time if the hard disk is really on the way out.

I didn't see this in time!  It didn't work - it went about 70 percent
of the way, making some unpleasant noises along the way, and then I
got an error message saying that part of the hard drive was read only.

So I dug into the bottom of a drawer and found a 10GB drive that I
bought new about seven years ago for an old machine that I only used
it for a short time.  Now it's something I have no foreseeable use
for, so I dropped that into the box and installed Kubuntu 9.10 on it,
and It seems to be working fine.

Lyle