Re: [tlug] Suse 10 file access without root?

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 11:45 PM, Nicolas Raoul
<nicolas.raoul.lists@example.com> wrote:
> If you really want to log as root, follow "solution 3" here:
> http://www.debianadmin.com/forgot-root-password-or-reset-root-password-in-debian.html

I was having some trouble with the box booting from the CD-ROM - and I
complained to my friend that the machine is nearly ten years old, has
a P-III (800MHz), only 384MB, and he should just remove the hard drive
for later vacuuming, and trash the box.  (I was getting irritated
regarding the amount of my time it was burning.)

but to try and get a new system installed, sooo..... I've given the
entire drive over to Kubuntu 9.10 (going in as I write this).  I was
going to just replace Suse and leave W-ME in, but it was going to only
give 2GB to Kubuntu ("Replace existing Linux system" wasn't one of the
options), and since I'm not a big fan of brand-W, I decided to make it
a Linux-only box.  The only thing my friend was doing on the W side of
the partition anyway was watch DVDs, so as along as I can get him DVD
playback with Kubuntu, he'll be happy.  (He's also not a big fan of
brand-W.)

> Off-topic: I am giving my Semantic Web presentation again, on Fridady
> 7PM at Miracle Linux's headquarters (Shinbashi, Tokyo), with the
> Yokohama Linux Users Group, please come if you missed the first one at
> TLUG :-)

Shinbashi on Friday huh?  Hmmm.... that might work out great for me.
I'm planning to visit a certain high-class "stand bar" in Yurakucho on
Friday, so I could drop by Ginza to see an art gallery I want to
visit, then go to Shinbashi for the presentation, and then to
Yurakucho for the suds.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions.  In this case, I ended
up doing something else, but I'm happy to have some more tools at hand
and it's been educational.  If it were really essential that the data
be saved, I would have kept soldering on, but apparently it's a
question of a bit of lost time for my friend and isn't something that
is absolutely irreplaceable.  (Now to see if the hard drive is so
damaged that Kubuntu won't go in... it's in the middle of formatting
the drive now.)

Thanks again!

Now - about the Miracle Linux headquarters in Shinbashi... is it easy to find?

Lyle