Re: [tlug] Database frontend in Linux

Josh Glover writes:

 > What do you mean by the statement "recently both have dropped all
 > pretense of being interested in caching"?

I should have decoupled that from the search engine issue, since I was
vaguely aware that Amazon doesn't provide a database derived from web
crawling.  What I mean is electronic content distribution.  Google is
clearly intent on doing more than pointing to the documents it crawls,
and Amazon is also evidently interested in going beyond Kindle in
terms of content distribution, eg, distributing very slightly munged
versions of books as "Look Inside" content.

(BTW, Paul Krugman showed up at the MOF recently, Kindle in tow.  He
thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread except that it
always breaks down when he's on the road. :-)

 > Did you mean Yahoo! up there where you typed Amazon? If so, things
 > would make more sense. :)

No.  I meant to give two different examples of firms working toward
search-based digital content distribution (which is a huge advantage
that Amazon has over bricks-n-mortar), rather than two examples of
crawler-based search.