Re: [tlug] Amarok 2 sucks (Was: Database frontend in Linux)

2009/5/27 Dave M G <dave@example.com>:

> Josh et all,
>> They're working on a new version of Amarok, which breaks most of what
>> made it awesome
>
> Unfortunately, what Josh says is spot on. Amarok 2 is a hot
> mess of unusable interface, poorly implemented new features,
> incompatibility with previous play lists, and other problems.

Someone on the Irish LUG list that I'm on mentioned Mozilla Songbird.
Has anyone here given it a go? I'd be willing to try it out just so I
can jettison the last KDE app that I use (not hating on KDE here, it
is just silly that I need all the KDE stuff when the only KDE app I
use is Amarok), but it would have to be at least as good as Amarok
1.4.

> Amarok 1.4 is sweet music listening goodness, so much so that it makes
> you wonder why they went so wrong with version 2.0.

I think it is another case of developers writing code that challenged
them, that they considered elegant, without caring one whit for the
user experience for the set of users that was not them. :)

Luckily, this is Open Source, so we can all go on happily using 1.4.x,
and backport bugfixes and features should we so choose. Win-win, I
say.

--
Cheers,
Josh