Re: [tlug] About to break down and get an iPhone

Doug McLean wrote:
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Clemens Schwaighofer
<gullevek@example.com> wrote:
I never heard any difference between the audio players I used, nor I
doubt I ever will. But perhaps I have just crappy ears ;)

You and me both.  I use my nano also on the train (here in Ireland, or
in Japan), and differences in sound quality are hardly noticeable.  A
good pair of noise-reduction earbuds, easily available in Japan, help
improve sound-quality on any mp3 device.  Much of the quality problems
lie in the background noise, not the mp3 quality.

Sorry for resurrecting this but I've been away.

People often think they can't hear the difference in quality but that's not true. You might not be consciously aware of the difference but it will be apparent in other ways. For instance poor quality will cause increased listening fatigue or disinterest in the music/content. Even 128kb/s mp3s can sound good if encoded properly and played on a reasonable player. However the noise of the subway probably cancels all that out.

Many years ago I went to a party organized by some ALTs in a live house and people just weren't getting into the music in the way I'd have expected. The music was 70s disco but just didn't seem to "pop". All the audio equipment was fantastic except the "DJ" was some local ALT playing mp3s from two MacIntosh laptops through a DJ mixer into the main board. The mp3s were no doubt ripped off the 'net and of dubious quality and the audio interfaces of those laptops would have been very crappy; consequently the music lost all it's dynamics and just didn't pop. I bet if a real DJ had pulled out a proper copy of Stayin' Alive on CD or vinyl and playing it on a decent player the crowd would have leapt to the feet and started getting their funk on.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy a pair of $700 Grado headphones or oxygen free cable ...

Brett