[tlug] OSX-customization and stuff was Re: Mac or EeePC?

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 6:28 PM, Christian Horn <chorn@example.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 11:56:10AM +0200, Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
>>
>> But the biggest concern for me, if everything differs only a little,
>> would be my tools of choice. In my case I would always use the Mac
>> because I feel more comfortable and work more productively on Mac OS X
>> than on any Linux-distribution. But that is totally up to you.
>
> Different experiences here.
> 2 years ago i bought a macbook, played some months with it and
> gave it away.  Just didnt provide a replacement for the linux/
> windowmaker environmets that have been customized in years to
> fit my needs.  OSX didnt even provide virtual screens at that
> time.  I guess one has to settle with the environment apple is
> presenting or has to step away, found not much for appropriate
> customization.

What do you want to customize?
If it's about the look of the windows and stuff, I usually do not need
any customization. The Mac OS X-environment is quite beautiful imho
and each time I go to Linux I need some time to find things that are
appealing (usually succesful and it's not the apple-clone-themes) and
then I don't change anything anymore.
System-wide keyboard shortcuts can be customized in Mac OS X and there
is software for theming, too (but as I said for me the standard-themes
are beautiful enough). Software often allows you, to change
system-wide used shortcuts and OS X allows you to set your own.
Back then (2004) I switched from Linux to OS X because my laptop got
stolen and  I wanted a machine w/ a *nix-based OS that I am ready to
use more or less as soon as I opened it because my experience then was
that I needed a week or two of tweeking that everything works. Never
looked back.
I tried to work w/ a netbook because of portability but unfortunately
I was missing too much the tools I am using on OS X that I decided
after a year to get me a MacBook Air.

> No intention to start a holy war, but curious to hear opinions
> on that ;)

No intention to do the same and I am not really into converting
anymore. If someone asks me about a new computer, I usually try to
look at his/her needs and suggest something (even windows-machines)
that I think might fit.

> Bought a thinkpad x200 recently, maybe interesting for some people:
> kvm can be patched to provide the environment macosx needs to
> run.  No 3d and no sound, but network works and it works great
> just to see if something can be compiled at osx or how websites
> look from safari/macosx.

The problem I have w/ Hackint0shs is that I like to be able to update
my machines easily and I want to unwrap my new machine and want to
start to work w/ them.
It's a nice thing for tinkering around but nothing for productivity
machines imho.

Niels