Re: [tlug] Replacing the WM in Gnome 2.24

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 10:19:38AM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> On 2009-02-20 17:18 -0500 (Fri), Scott Robbins wrote:
>
> > Fedora still uses root rather than sudo by default.  They have disabled,
> > (by default) root login in gdm.  It's simply a matter of ading yourself
> > to /etc/sudoers.
>
> And that will fix the graphical stuff, too? E.g., the graphical package
> management tool will then ask for my password rather than root?

The trouble is that I don't use the graphical management tools that way.

I usually use yum.  On rare occasions (like playing with openoffice and
forgetting what it's called, whether it's OO, oo, openoffice, etc), I'll
use yumex.  In that case, I do sudo yumex and it works.

> It didn't do that when I just enabled a wheel or whatever group in
> /etc/sudoers and added myself to that group. I'm not sure if that's
> precisely what you meant by "adding [myself] to /etc/sudoers," though.

That was what I meant, but I wasn't thinking of PackageKit or whatever
it's called.  Hrrm, so I guess, at that point, you will have to use
root's password, though I suspect if you know the command to call up
packagekit, and run that with sudo, I *suspect* it would work.

I am *almost* certain that it works (on CentOS) with yumex.  (I haven't
used it in a few months, so I don't clearly remember.)

If you do try running packagekit or yumex with sudo--that is, calling it
from a terminal--please post the results if you don't mind. Now, I'm
curious.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6