Re: [tlug] Privacy question - owner settings

Stuart Luppescu <slu@example.com> wrote:

> The exception might be if the file was part of a tar
> archive and it was extracted using the -p flag, but even so, only the
> UID *number* would be preserved. The file would appear to be owned by
> the person associated with that UID on the local computer. I think. I
> may be completely wrong.

For GNU tar at least, the default behaviour for root is to store the
owner name in the archive in addition to the UID and use the name
first if possible during extraction.

http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_section/Attributes.html#IDX446

--
Stephen Lee <sl-tlug@example.com>