Re: [tlug] Economic downturn good for open source

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 2:28 AM, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:
> TLUG,
>
> I'm sure you guys have probably seen this already, but if any of you
> haven't, it's an interesting idea:
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/10/21/open-source-gain-during

How much of the computers would businesses replace?
The server-side - then they need to re-train their admins or hire new
ones. Those maybe have lower entry-salaries these days because of an
upcoming recession.
Replacing the desktop-side and you have to re-train your staff (I know
that e.g. Open Office is not far away from M$ software but I know the
staff at our university and if there's one thing wrong with the
standard-setup they call the internal IT-support…). That should cost
quite a lot of money in the beginning (which would be in the phase
where the businesses have no money to spend it). And I guess
convincing your CEO that you have to do now high spendings in
schooling-programs for the employees but will save money later on will
have the same effect as always - only with the difference that they'll
tell you they do not have the money right now to start with.
Or do I see something wrong?

Niels *who never understood why his by reputation left-wing university
uses on the server-side 50% M$-products and on the desktop-side nearly
100%*