[tlug] Addendum to "Trouble with external USB hard disk" thread of 22 October

David Bernat writes:

 > What, exactly, happens during a kernel upgrade that breaks write
 > permissions to an external hard disk?

Hard to say what might have happened.  It might have nothing at all to
do with the kernel per se, but be related to a reboot, which is
required on any kernel upgrade.  Or it might be an interaction of the
reboot with the kernel upgrade, and once you get the current error
condition cleared future reboots will work fine.  Or it might be that
Kubuntu is too smart for its own good, and the upgrade scripts are
mucking with your perfectly good config for no good reason.

But it's back to bug report mode, I'm afraid.  What's the current
condition of /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab, what does "mount" report, what
does "dmesg" or /var/log/dmesg or /var/log/kern.log report, etc.

Or, alternatively, do it the Kubuntu Way (ie, respond to Jim's
message, instead of or in addition to this one).