Re: [tlug] Looking for a distribution to replace Ubuntu

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Edward Middleton
<emiddleton@example.com> wrote:
> Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:
>> Ubuntu and Debian use .deb as their packages and my suggestion are:
>>
>> 1. Build things *we need* from source code is always an option.
>> 2. Rebuild the .deb packages with the options we need.
>>

> These approaches works as long as you don't need to make changes that
> effect all packages.
>
>> Making your own distribution is not so hard at start up you won't have time
>> to maintain it. Kondara, Momonga are good examples: They never get *enough*
>> due to the lack of (package) maintainers.
>>

> Thats why meta-distributions like Gentoo work so well.  I have 188
> ebuilds for things that are either not supported or not compiled and
> installed the way I want them.  This gives me the advantage of not
> having to maintain the things I don't care about while not having to
> abandon package management for the things I need to support.
Are you talking about "metabuild" in ebuild?
It is a great feature that both RPM and DEB don't have.

I *sometimes* build customization rpms for food and profit and found
that the RPM dependency in rpmbuild is a nightmare, especially when
the package we are going to build has a bunch of "Requires:".

The problem becomes more serious at end-users who is going to build rpm with -i.

Gentoo is nice. But I won't switch to it until it reaches some
attention at business level.

--
Best Regards,
Nguyen Hung Vu ( Nguyễn Vũ Hưng )