Re: [tlug] Looking for a distribution to replace Ubuntu

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 01:52:38PM +0100, Attila Kinali wrote:

> You seem to have very specific and out of ordinary requirements
> for your distro, and to some extend they are contradicting.
> You're looking for a server distro that is optimized for desktop
> use.. I very much doubt that such thing exists.

I also second Debian as first choice for replacement as Curts disro.
Gentoo beeing more flexible if one wants to use non-standard
libraries or the like takes more resources to maintain.

What got mentioned bevore and is old in Debian can be compiled
with --prefix and deployed on other boxes, or own packages can
be build.
I use Debian unstable on almost all of my desktops and it
happens not too often i have to compile newer versions myself,
lately that was the case for vdr (videorecorder software to
work together with my DVB-C card) and current wine which a
current software needed while debian unstable sticks with
wine 1.0.1.

Btw, be careful when using disc encryption with debian unstable,
just heard from a (debian introduced) screwup last weekend on IRC.

Christian