Re: [tlug] Just curious... how much impact does a kernel update make?

Edward Middleton writes:
 > Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
 > > Seriously, after
 > > the discussion with Curt re: STM in Haskell, I think this one could
 > > happen soonish, and it seems like a solution is on the horizon.
 >
 > I don't know,  It doesn't look like the silver bullet[1],

Shirley, you jest.  Economists know better than to advocate silver
bullets.  Paul Krugman's recent pronunciamentos notwithstanding.

My point is simply that STM is an examples that suggests that people
are starting to get a handle on "what really is going on here", and my
bet is that within a couple of years that will result in a solution
that deserves to go into kernels, even if its not universally
applicable.