Re: [tlug] Re: /proc/uptime

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 2:34 PM, John Fremlin <john@example.com> wrote:
> "Nguyen Vu Hung" <vuhung16plus@example.com> writes:
>> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:30 PM, John Fremlin <john@example.com> wrote:
>>> "Nguyen Vu Hung" <vuhung16plus@example.com> writes
>>>
>>> This just adds up how much time (user + system) has been spent in the
>>> init_task, so how much time has been spent with no actual task running.
>> On a heavy-load web server which server which serves dozens TB every months
>> I see:

# I've just read http://kilobug.free.fr/hurd/pres-en/abstract/html/node2.html
#I know it is for GNU/Hurd so Dr. S. may disagree.

> Why do you think that it is heavily loaded?
I can hear that my HDD is screaming.

My understanding is that: the second number in /proc/uptime indicates
the time that
the kernel has nothing to do in the *kernel mode*. Network activities,
file systems activities
are all in user mode so it is nothing to do with /proc/uptime.

Well, my couriourity is satisfied but this number is somewhat useless from
the point of view of a sysadmin who is watching httpd.

--
Best Regards,
Nguyen Hung Vu ( Nguyễn Vũ Hưng )