Re: [tlug] JFS file system license

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull
<stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Curt Sampson writes:

>  > On any individual basis, yes. The BSDs spend a few tens of thousands
>  > of dollars worth of programmer time to write editline;
>
> Which seems moderately stupid since ZLE is permissively licensed, and
> the Zsh guys do it for fun as far as I know.

They do.

Not to mention that ZLE is *by far* the superior
line editing library.  By far.

I really wonder why someone has not taken that
ball and run with it.

The biggest blockage to a GNU-free Linux that I see
is the dependency on GCC and I've thought about it
off and on over some years now.

Does anyone realize how much *fun* it would be to
have a GNU-free system with Linux kernel, build
only XEmacs, which technically is GNU Emacs and
have config.sub claim it is a linux-gnu system due
to compiling XEmacs?

-sb