Re: [tlug] X11 Session Manager Setup

On 2008-10-31 01:31 +0900 (Fri), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Actually, I've hacked on xsm...

Ok. I'm sorry.

> As Ian put it, what kind of problem are you trying to solve?
> OK, so you think you want real session management.  Why?

I'm not sure. I thought that this was something I should get for free
for putting in all this work to find out what the heck it even is?

I can see all the interesting things than can be done within this
protocol definiton, but the standard thing is just, "can do 'switch
user'", I'm fine with that. I'm even fine with the new "here's two
different ways to specify which programs get run after you log in
thing." (It's annoying, but I live with many other similar annoyances.)

I just thought that there might be some really cool things that I was
missing here, given all the capabilities I can see. (I say this in
all seriousness; without anything else, I still *really* like "switch
user.")

> Also, do the apps you use maintain state?  I bet vi doesn't. :-)

Ha! I use vim, not gvim, so my excuse is that I'm waiting for xterm to
save it's state. :-)

(Though for all I know, gvim does.)

((Though if Emacs doesn't, probably nobody does.))

cjs