[tlug] X11 Session Manager Setup

I've finally started using an Ubuntu desktop machine in a serious way,
and boy was the conversion painful. More on that story later, or over a
beer, but expect a stream of questions here.

The first is related to session management. As background, on NetBSD I
was using fvwm1 and no session manager. I'm now using the Gnome session
manager (and some of the Gnome desktop tools) and fvwm2. (Note that I'm
not using Nautilus or Metacity.)

I've been playing around with the standard session management program,
and have a couple of questions.

First, there seems to be no way to manage multiple sessions. Am
I missing something here? Is there something better than vi on
.gnome2/sessions to let me have and manage multiple sessions? If I go
the vi route, how do I change sessions, or pick which session to use on
login?

Second, is there any way to change the one default session I have other
than closing all programs I don't want and then using the save button?
If I'm in the middle of a big session with many dozens of programs
running, but I just want to add one new program I've just started to my
startup session, what's an easy way to do that?

cjs