Re: [tlug] JFS file system license

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 9:17 AM, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> On 2008-10-28 11:12 +0900 (Tue), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
>>  > And what happens if my Hello World program calls fopen()?
>>
>> First, fopen() is part of libc, in a GNU system that's GNU libc.  GNU
>> libc is under the LGPL, so linkage to it can't matter ever.
>
> I think that he was trying to say something more along the lines of,
> "what if it invokes the open() syscall directly, without calling the
> libc code that does this?"
Thanks for pointing that out.
I did mean open(), which is a kernel syscall, not fopen(), which is a
libc "API".
LGPL applies for libraries, and it  deals with static linking and
dynamic linking.
For the kernel and a filesystem( JFS - GPL licensed, which is a part
of the kernel),
there is no "linking" to it, and the way we use the kernel is
different from using
(i.e. linking) a library.

IMO the approach is quite similar to LKMs so if Linus believes that LKMs are
derivative work[1], then the same conclusion should be applied to
those programs/libraries
using open().

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel#Loadable_Kernel_Modules_and_firmware

--