Re: [tlug] Free Codeweavers products for 24 hours.

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 11:31:42AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Phillip Tribble writes:
>
>  > award-winning
>
> *plonk*

Actually, Stephen, as I mentioned before, the announcement itself is
pretty funny. Basically, they take the blame for the economic collapse,
saying that George Bush caused it in order to drop gasoline prices to
meet their challenge. (If you've plonked this whole thread, you won't
see this though.)

For anyone who saw my earlier post about it being limited to US
residents, I believe I was mistaken.  That was based on the fairly
tongue in cheek announcement.

I haven't used it in years--way back when, it was much easier to get it
running than it was to get Wine working, I don't know how they compare
today.

They've always seemed pretty decent--they give you a free trial, and if
at the end of the trial, you decide not to buy, they send you a pretty
friendly email asking you nicely to remove it from your computer.  As
far as I know, they don't enforce it in any way.  (Note the "As far as I
know."  I've never tested that.)

It wouldn't surprise me if it had actually won some awards.  It was
pretty good software at the time I used it.

Anyway, for those who do need to run a Microsoft program or two, I would
say it's worth investigating--it doesn't run all MS based software
perfectly, however.  The two programs I needed at the time, a Nortel VPN
client and a specific terminal called Accuterm, didn't work properly
with it.  I think it's aimed primarily at folks who need MS Office and
possibly some Adobe programs, but I have no idea how well or poorly it
runs those.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Willow: On the other hand, maybe Rodney just stepped out
for a smoke.
Xander: For twenty-one hours?
Willow: It's addictive, you know.