Re: [tlug] Dealing with a second SSH key

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 09:44:47PM +0900, Charles Muller wrote:
> Christian Horn wrote:
> >Charles Muller wrote:
> >>
> >>and put it in the .ssh directory of my home folder on the remote server.
> >>I can do rsync, but I am still prompted for a password each time. I

Sorry, i misread that as passphrase.
So maybe the ownerships/modes of your files on the remote server
are broken.

> >To circumvent this just enter nothing when prompted for the keyphrase
> >while key-generation. Warning: obviously someone stealing the private-
> >key can then directly use it, so you should later at least restrict
> >what can be dont with the key (using command=... in the authorized_keys
> >file).
>
> I still get the password prompt--and the only way to get in is by typing
> in my original password. Certainly, I am missing something here.

Log onto the remote box as root, execute
  /usr/sbin/sshd -p 2222 -ddd
and from your other box use
  ssh -p 2222 -i /home/dir/.ssh/id_dsa_keyfile user@example.com

This should produce quite some debugging-out - and tell you what prevents
pubkey-auth.

Christian