Re: [tlug] Dealing with a second SSH key

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 08:27:50PM +0900, Charles Muller wrote:

> OK, I did this. I generated
>
> ~/.ssh/id_dsa_sat  and
> ~/.ssh/id_dsa_sat.pub
>
> I copied the contents of ~/.ssh/id_dsa_sat.pub into a file named
>
> authorized_keys
>
> and put it in the .ssh directory of my home folder on the remote server.
> I can do rsync, but I am still prompted for a password each time. I

To circumvent this just enter nothing when prompted for the keyphrase
while key-generation. Warning: obviously someone stealing the private-
key can then directly use it, so you should later at least restrict
what can be dont with the key (using command=... in the authorized_keys
file).

> don't get any other error messages about permissions.
> I do notice that the user and group permissions on the server where it
> is functioning correctly are user=acmuller (my username) and group=users.
> On this new machine it is user=503 and group=503.
> Perhaps that has something to do with my failure?

If something bad aboud ownerships/modes occurs the sshd on the rsync-
box will completely skip pubkey-based authentication - and thats not
the case for you currently.

Christian