Re: [tlug] RMS is at it again...again

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 13:24, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> 1. You have considerably more control of the data and software using it
> if you're using a co-located server. For example, you can encrypt some
> or all of it, you can easily copy it elsewhere and use it on another
> system, and so on.

So my question still is. What is the real difference between this and
having a virt (with a distro that you install yourself) running in a
cloud. You can encrypt data there as well if you like and continue to
store said data somewhere within the cloud or out of it. I still do
not see why one should be any more concerned over using cloud
computing resources over using a hosted server. I still wonder if I'm
missing some key point to this thread.

As for the hosted applications as a service that I can see as more of
a problem, but again what is new about this?

> I'd just start panicing in a gentle
> way now, and continue indefinitely. :-)

I've not panicked over anything for as long as I can remember. I
suspect I might have to start to do some panicking. Maybe some time
after I take a nap, eat a biscuit, have a cup of Earl Grey and then
think on things some more :)

>> Am I an idiot[1] if I ask or employ others to write software for me?
>> After all who knows what "they" will do with any of my data that they
>> or their code touches...
>
> We have systems for dealing with this when the risk is high enough.

Of course there are systems, checks, balances and other tools in place
to ensure the risk of such things from happening are minimized.
Unfortunately sarcasm does not come across to clear in print. I'm no
Shakespeare ;). Hence my references to "where do we stop", "should we
panic today or tomorrow" type remarks.

I simply see the original article as a bit of an over-reaction to a
slight twist on an old story. Should you trust third parties with your
data - sometimes yes.

Regards, Keith