Re: [tlug] Somewhat OT- open source software for US voting machines

On 2008-09-30 17:54 +0900 (Tue), Edward Middleton wrote:

> To prove this he would have to show that it is not possible to
> implement an e-voting systems that is more effective then the current
> manual methods.

I'm dubious about arguments along the lines of, "it must be possible
unless you can prove that it's not."

And in this particular case, I'm more inclined to accept the conclusions
of the guy who spent three years of his life implementing e-voting
systems.

> The problem is that his arguments are based solely on the premise that
> all problems relating to the voting process can/should be solved by
> technical means. This is flawed whether you used electronic or manual
> voting procedures.

If you consider things such as how you use a ballot and how you count
the vote as "technical means," which if you're using that phrase in the
context of "manual voting procedures" I would guess you do, I'm not
clear on how there would really be any other way of solving problems.

In other words, what are the "non-technical means" that are being
applied to the non-electronic systems that could be, but are not being,
applied to the electronic systems?

cjs