Re: [tlug] Firefox 3.0.1 doesn't respect <meta http-equiv="content-type">

On 2008-09-09 16:13 +0900 (Tue), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> I observe ruefully that the concept of a default charset is pretty
> broken given the priority of the server headers, the meta tag, and
> browser guesstimates.  Oh well.

Well, I used to think that the priority (server header over meta tag)
ought to be reversed, but now I wonder if it's not correct. After all,
I'm surely not the only one that has written a server that does encoding
conversion on the fly based on the client. (Docomo phones/proxies for
a long time, and perhaps to this day, have refused to render UTF-8 web
pages.)

cjs