Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] MobileFS: Good or Bad?
- Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 15:31:06 +0900
- From: Curt Sampson <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [tlug] MobileFS: Good or Bad?
- References: <48BEA6BF.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20080904012329.E6E382FB5B8@mail.mizzy.org> <20080908145444.GN2556@lucky.cynic.net> <C27EB5B0-F562-474F-B7D4-744E52A50DE2@h7.dion.ne.jp> <20080909053940.GC17711@lucky.cynic.net> <20080909060537.GA22457@fluxcoil.net>
- User-agent: Mutt/1.5.17 (2007-11-01)
On 2008-09-09 08:05 +0200 (Tue), Christian Horn wrote: > On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 02:39:40PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote: > > > > http://www.danga.com/mogilefs/ > > [distributed filesystem] > > Canonical idea for this kind of needs is using OpenAFS, in what > areas does mogilefs look better? They're entirely different things for entirely different purposes. AFS is designed to emulate a traditional filesystem, albeit with only file-grained locking. It's complex, slow and relatively unreliable. (If a server holding a file goes down, you have no access to it until the server comes back up.) MogileFS is essentially a giant distributed web server. It's simple, can serve massive amounts of content very quickly from relatively small servers, and it deals with file replication. If you lose a node, you can ignore it, or just add new empty node to the cluster, or whatever. It also has its own API, and makes no attempt to provide anything like a POSIX filesystem API. Despite the name, MogileFS should not be thought of as anything like FFS, ext2fs, NFS, or AFS. cjs -- Curt Sampson <email@example.com> +81 90 7737 2974 Mobile sites and software consulting: http://www.starling-software.com
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [tlug] Firefox 3.0.1 doesn't respect <meta http-equiv="content-type">
- Next by Date: Re: [tlug] Firefox 3.0.1 doesn't respect <meta http-equiv="content-type">
- Previous by thread: Re: [tlug] MobileFS: Good or Bad?
- Next by thread: [tlug] Web site
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links