Re: [tlug] kindle, iliad or sony et al [semi-ot]

I looked into Calibre but could not get it to build at the time.  I may have to give it another go.

Also reading the documentation at the time (note I say at the time) it indicated that the libs it was based off of were geared towards the 500, and made some assumptions about what should work on the 505 based on that.  One of the biggest being how the system handled internal memory and the external memory card.   With the 505 you can't just dump things on the card and watch it go.  everything has to be updated in it's config files. ^^

:-) Later today I may download it again and give it a look.

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Al Hoang <hoanga@example.com> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 11:02:31PM +0900, Kenneth M. Burling Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 08:58 +0900, david.blomberg wrote:
> > Kindle coming to Japan? Well I can't find any info in this other than
> > several request spread over various sites.
> I am however using the Sony PRS 505.  I only have two real complaints
> about it.  1) and more importantly, it does not handle unicode.  The
> only kana and kanji support is in PDF files, which it handles badly most
> of the time because of the screen size.

I've found the magnify key helps with at least reading the text even
if the layout goes to hell.   My biggest dissapointment is that half
the US government publications that I downloaded to my Kindle render
EXTREMELY poorly since the layout is way overdone.  So if anything, PDF
rendering is a function of how insane the page layout is for that PDF.

Academic papers have been pleasantly readable if you use 'M' font size.

> 2) I have to boot into windows to change the books on it, but that is
> the lesser of annoyances anyway.

Huh, what about the tool called Calibre? [1]  I've found it to be a
great tool for untethering the Sony eReader from requiring Windows
support.  Although, I am disappointed that the NYTimes feed downloader
that comes with it seems to only cause the eReader to reboot instead of
let me browse the NYT.

Alain

[1] http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/