Re: [tlug] A gentle nudge from a moderator

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 08:55:04PM +0900, Masa Taniguchi wrote:
> Scott
>
>  I approgize you first, and thank you so much for pointint out  my bad manner.
> I am surely a newbie in this mailing list and I didn't understand the
> netiquette in this list. I should  search if there were similar topics in the
> past, and should post more appropriately( or shouldn't post) ....
>

> Masa

Hi Masa san,
First of all, of course, we forgive you.  However--do you realize that
you once again top posted?   :)

(Believe me, you're not the first one who has top posted an apology for
top posting.)   Also, you left in my entire email, again something that
shouldn't have happened.  Again, you're not the first.  (Nor are you the
only one who has been top posting.)

Here's one way that would have been proper.

First, the part that you're answering.  It's around 100 lines, and only
a little bit is necessary so that others can understand what it's about.

------------------
Leave in this part, so people can see who wrote it

------------------
> 2008/8/16 Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com>

----------------
Then, consider--all that is needed for others to understand what is
being discussed are the next few lines.
----------------------------

>     Folks, lately, we've seen a bit of an overabundance of top posting and
>     lack of trimming, mostly from relative newcomers to the list.
>
>     I've received some complaints from the old timers.  So---

So---now, you can put in what you wrote.

> netiquette in this list. I should  search if there were similar topics in the
> past, and should post more appropriately( or shouldn't post) ....

Hopefully this helps. There's nothing wrong with being new, and those
who have complained haven't said, "Those stupid newcomers," they just
commented that perhaps the people should be told what they are doing.

Your English is so good that I think you probably understand it, but if
there's anything that's not clear, please don't hesitate to ask,
either by private email or on the list.  The important thing is to look
at it as a conversation.

(The reason I'm not sure if it's quite clear is that you continued to
do the same thing, top post and not trim.  Even so, I am sure that all
of us appreciate your effort.)

In my first post on this, I gave a link to Godwin's (a long time list
member) guide about netiquette. It's really good, especially for people
who are new and not quite sure what is the best way to do these things.

Again, thank you for your quick response, and I repeat that it was not
only directed at you.  :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Looks like a job for wiccan-girl. What do you say,
Will? Big time danger.
Willow: Hey, I eat danger for breakfast.
Xander: But, oddly enough, she panics in the face of breakfast
foods.