Re: [tlug] Thunderbird RSS different from FireFox?

On Aug 12, 2008, at 6:48 PM, Dave M G wrote:

The bottom line is, though, why would I get different results in FireFox and Thunderbird? Not only would I have thought RSS was a pretty simple thing that would be hard to get wrong, I also assumed Thunderbird and FireFox would be largely based on the same code.

Disclaimer: I work at Mozilla Corp (the Firefox folks) and Thunderbird is now run out of Mozilla Messaging, a separate org but still owned by the Mozilla Foundation.

Thunderbird 2.0 is based on the Gecko 1.8.1.x trunk.

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/rumblingedge/archives/branch_gecko_18x/

Thunderbird 3.0 (Shredder) is in early alpha and is based on the Gecko 1.9.x trunk, which is the same as Firefox 3.

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/early_releases/

There's literally tens of thousand of changes (bug fixes, new libraries, new features, etc) between Gecko 1.8 and 1.9. The big ones are SQLite, Cairo, partial HTML5 support, offline support, better Canvas and SVG support, CSS improvements, DOM improvements, JS 1.8. APNG, etc. The list goes on and on.

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Firefox_3_for_developers

So, in short, Firefox 3 and Thunderbird 2 are based off of different versions of Gecko and thus there are differences in how they work. Thunderbird 3, which should be here by the end of the year will have caught up to Firefox 3 and will benefit from all of the bugfixes and new development that will happen between the launch of Firefox 3 and the planned launch of Thunderbird 3.

Happy to answer other questions.

Gen