Re: [tlug] FTTH ISP recommendation

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:40 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Quentin Arnaud writes:
>  > On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
>  > > Why do you want to get rid of KDDI's gateway box?
>  > >
>  > It's all in Japanese, it's quite hard for me to do some NAT / port
>  > forwarding with it's UI.
>  > Also no traffic shaping. And finally I doubt it handles ftp traffic
>  > well when you have a server insde your NAT (not tested yet) .
>
> Yeah, but why do you care?  Do your best to turn it into a bridge or
> maybe a simple firewall to give the ssh script-kiddies one more hoop
> to jump through, and then put the interesting stuff on your own box
> inside.  90Mbps is not something to kick away lightly, and someday you
> may appreciate having your own private DMZ.

One reason i could give : Paranoia this thing is not open source and
rpovided by me by a content provider.
To be honest it's not mine if I could put it into bridge mode I
couldn't care less if it was sniffing or not. But sadly it does not
look like it can be turned into a bridge. (If it could I would GLADLY
stick with KDDI. I would be ecstatic actually.) I guess I will have to
give DMZ a shot.
But anyone who has ever tried letting through ftp traffic inbound and
outbound (passive and active connection) through one NAT doesn't want
to give it a shot through 2 routers. (you can replace ftp by many
online games too)
If I do not find anything / switching is impractical I might try
setting up DMZ.

Ah if only they would give me bridge mode.

Thanks anyway for the tip.

Regards,
Quentin