Re: [tlug] STM (was: Re: work times & accommodation @tokyo)

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 09:51:04 +0900
Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

> I'd like to know where it does work. In the IBM example, they were doing
> exactly what I said they should do: start early. They chose to do this
> though fairly massive spending on research, and I think that, if you're
> a bit clever about it, you can spend less on that if your main aim is
> producing software, but either way, it was a "start early" thing.

Be carefull what you deduce from IBM Research's behavior to the
whole company. IBM Research is pretty much seperated from IBM.
There are a few guys at the top who tell them what to look for
and what direction they should go. But beside that researches
are pretty much free to explore whatever they feel like.

Very little stuff of what they figure out ends up in products.
A lot of stuff is just developed to see whether it can work
or not (or because some research found needs to be used). Ofcourse
there is some product related research that is directly involved
in the development of the after the next generation products
(the group around Evangelos Eleftheriou and their influence
on hard disks/tape drives comes to mind), but this is the
exception rather than the rule.

				Attila Kinali

--
The true CS students do not need to know how to program.
They learn how to abstract the process of programming to