Re: work times & accommodation @tokyo, WAS: Re: [tlug] Embedded linux dev wanting to find work in Tokyo.. Seeking advice.

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:08:18 +0900
Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

> I've done a fair amount of research into this, albeit I've
> not documented it, and in chosing a new programming language for a not
> insignificant application (an automated trading system that reads a
> market feed and generates orders), I've put my professional reputation
> on the line, especially because it will be compared directly with a
> previous Java version. That should tell you a lot.

I might step on a few peoples shoes, but to beat an java
implementation is not a difficult task in any other language,
including such out of date and ugly languages like C and C++.
Why? Because most Java programmers i know came straight out
of university (not necessarily CS majors) or learned a bit of
this and that on the job. While this isn't bad in itself, with
Java it leads to a lot of people knowing just a bit of Java with
no real understanding of the language or what's going on underneath
the pretty statements. This in turn leads to inefficient and ugly
implementations of given problems.

Ugly languages (or to make it more general, languages that require
time and skills to learn and have a lot of traps that are fatal)
in turn are mostly written by people who have an understanding
of what the language can do, what good style is and what constructs
should be avoided. Not to talk that while developing these needed
basic skills for these languages, people develop a sense on what
application designs work well and which do not.

This is somewhat similar to the theory that a given human
population develops higher cognitive skills if the enviroment
is more difficult to deal with than a population that has
just reach out his hand to get something to eat.
(don't ask me for the source of this, i couldn't find it)

			Attila Kinali
--
The true CS students do not need to know how to program.
They learn how to abstract the process of programming to