Re: [tlug] STM (was: Re: work times & accommodation @tokyo)

On 2008-07-29 17:33 +0900 (Tue), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> I don't see why the optimistic execution strategy described in
> Beautiful Code couldn't be used in Java....

It would work perfectly fine, and probably would not be all that hard to
implement. The same is true of many other languages.

The point is, the compiler's type checker in Java is not poweful enough
to tell you when you've used your library incorrectly, and thus you're
still open to the bugs that the Haskell compiler will prevent you from
inserting when you start combining smaller operations.

Are things starting to become more clear now?

cjs