Re: [tlug] CJK Printing with Fixed Width Font

Stephen wrote:

> Again, you'd need to defeat antialiasing, hinting, and things like
> that, and you're not really interested in the width; you're interested
> in the bearing (how far to advance the origin for each character).

Yup.

Thanks for saying that.

Of the various options, modifying paps to set the origin for
each character might be the easiest solution. It would allow
me to use fonts that are pretty close to fixed width, as is,
without having to modify them. The remaining interesting issue
would be figuring out which characters are single-width,
and which are double-width. For some characters, that depends
on the font.

Curt wrote:

> Actually, it seemed to me, after reading your previous message, that the
> broader question was not fixed-width text, but lining up columns,
> which can be done without fixed-width text.

I want the spacing of printed text to appear the same as
it does in console windows as I use them. The console windows
I use show text as fixed-width (or twice that), so that's how
I need text to print. Although there are many ways of lining
up columns without using fixed-width (or twice that) text,
fixed-width (or twice that) text is what I view and need to
print. Lining up columns are just one example, one instance
of that broader problem.

> BTW, I don't know much about the software you're using, but I had a
> quick look at the library it uses, and it seemed to me I saw something
> about a command to ask it to use monospaced text.

Thanks for that tip.

Paps' default font, Monospace 12, was disappointing,
so that the library might have a way to _really_ get
monospaced text is encouraging.