Re: [tlug] CJK Printing with Fixed Width Font

jep200404 writes:
 > Stephen wrote:
 >
 > > jep200404 writes:
 > >
 > >  > How can I print plain text with mixed CJK/European characters
 > >  > with a "fixed width"[1]?
 > >
 > > Use a collection of bitmap fonts of appropriate sizes.
 >
 > As behind X's curtain?

Yes.

 > > If you want to get exact fixed width, you will need to wrap
 > > it in page justification code (TeX, Postscript, SVG come to mind).

 > I'm not interested in any justification if
 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justification_(typesetting)
 > is the kind of justification you meant.

No, I just mean code that allows you to control the exact placement of
glyphs.

 > The fixed width I want is of characters, not pages.

Understood.

 > > Or you could design your own font.
 >
 > I could do that, but hope to avoid taking on such task.
 > If I did it, it would likely be derived from other fonts,
 > just squishing/stretching them to all be the same width
 > (or twice that width).

Again, you'd need to defeat antialiasing, hinting, and things like
that, and you're not really interested in the width; you're interested
in the bearing (how far to advance the origin for each character).