Re: [tlug] Embedded linux dev wanting to find work in Tokyo.. Seeking advice.

> Joe Larabell wrote:
> >
> >> ... There is some risk here because if you don't find work within
> 30
> >> to 45 days your likely hood of having to leave the country once
> (and
> >> come right back in) is quite high as it typically takes 4 to 8
> weeks
> >> for the Japanese government to process your visa request.
> >>
> >> Note that only the Tokyo immigration office has this "pick up where
>
> >> you left off" power. If I understand correctly, if you try to do
> this
> >> in Osaka or another region, your application will be canceled the
> >> moment you leave the country and you will have to re-apply from
> scratch.
> >
> > This must be something new, as every source I've ever seen on the
> > subject says you can only apply for a working visa from *outside*
> the
> > country anyway. So once one finds a job, it's necessary to leave
> Japan
> > in order to start the application process.

That is the ideal way to do things. That way if there is a problem you don't have to worry about leaving the country in a rush. But you can certainly change your tourist visa to a working one if you have found employment, in the same manor that you can convert your student visa to a working visa once you have graduated.

I think this is the correct procedure: http://www.moj.go.jp/ONLINE/IMMIGRATION/16-2.html

I know this works from personal experience as I have done it twice. Basically you apply for the permission to change your status, and then you apply for the new visa itself. The first part takes a very long time and if it does not process by the time your tourist visa expires you will have to leave the country (or beg them to extend your tourist visa). Once they give you permission to apply, you can stay in the country while you apply for the new visa.

Cheers,
Sach