Re: [tlug] Color postscript network printer

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 02:33:28PM -0500, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
> On Tuesday July 8 2008 12:31, Attila Kinali wrote:
> >"Daniel A. Ramaley" <daniel.ramaley@example.com> wrote:
> >> I bought a 2605dn about a year and a half ago.
> >
> >How did you configure CUPS? what drivers do you use?
> >And how do you print your files?
>
> I configured cups through its web interface. I think i used the PPD file
> that came with the printer CDs.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by the last question. I usually use the print
> function of whatever application i want to print from. I recall that
> getting emacs to print Japanese was a bit of a hassle, but i don't
> think that had anything to do with the specific printer.

This seems to now vary from distro to distro.  Fedora from about 8 on
and CentOS, starting from 5.0 or 5.1 will both print plain textfiles
created in vi properly.  Everything else I've used
either needs paps or something else, e.g., firefox, openoffice, etc., to
print Japanese textfiles.

My guess is that the RH version of cups just pipes it through paps
somehow, but I would be guessing.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Harmony: Why have you come to our lonely, small town, which
has no post office and very few exports?