Re: [tlug] VNC, secure or better options?

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:26:32AM +0900, Dave M G wrote:

> 1. The VNC server on the Mythbuntu machine is on all the time. It is
> password protected, and also I set the Firewall (with Firestarter) up to
> only accept connections from the local IP address range. Is that good
> enough for security? I've heard people say that VNC is not very secure.

Sounds reasonable to me when the connection happens only acress the
LAN. A common way to secure services is using the port-forwarding
feature of ssh. This can also compress the networktraffic.

> 2. Since I'm accessing it over the local network, I'm wondering if VNC
> is the best route. I'm wondering because it is kind of slow. When I call
> up Amarok, it can make it a bit annoying as far as navigating around the
> interface. Is there a better option than VNC for accessing computers in
> a local network, or a way of optimizing VNC?

You use a LAN, i dont think VNC-optimizations like reducing colours will
make it faster for you.
Maybe you should test your lan so latency and bandwidth are within decent
ranges.
On low latency/bandwith networks other applications like nomachine
could work better than vnc.

On application level i use ampache with the localplay module to remotely
control a musicplayer, its controlled with a webbrowser. Not easy to
setup thou.

Christian