[tlug] VNC, secure or better options?

TLUG,

I have a machine that is a dedicated Mythbuntu "entertainment centre".

Sometimes I log in to that machine by VNC to either run updates or play music with Amarok.

It basically works, but I have two questions, one about security and one about performance.

1. The VNC server on the Mythbuntu machine is on all the time. It is password protected, and also I set the Firewall (with Firestarter) up to only accept connections from the local IP address range. Is that good enough for security? I've heard people say that VNC is not very secure.

2. Since I'm accessing it over the local network, I'm wondering if VNC is the best route. I'm wondering because it is kind of slow. When I call up Amarok, it can make it a bit annoying as far as navigating around the interface. Is there a better option than VNC for accessing computers in a local network, or a way of optimizing VNC?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

--
Dave M G
http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/User:Dave_M_G