Re: [tlug] [Was: iptables] Forward multicats

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> On 2008-06-15 10:00 +0900 (Sun), Bruno Raoult wrote:
>> Sorry, I was not clear enough. My network looks like:
>>
>> TERA -----ethernet----eth0--Linux PC-rausb0----wifi-----lan (including
>> internet router)
>
> And is this Linux box bridging the two physical networks (Ethernet and
> WiFi), or are these two separate IP networks between which it is (or
> could be) routing?

In fact I wanted to bridge the 2 networks from beginning, but I am unable to
go to promiscuous mode on the wifi card. Bridging would have been perfect.

>> My two interfaces have the "multicast" flag.
>
> I'm not even sure what that means, but it may not be sufficient to
> ensure the packets are seen and routed.

I am not sure too... As I said in a previous email, multicast is not what I know
the best :-(

> I'm not clear on what your "forwarding rule" is, but if it's NAT, you
> probably want to disable that entirely. If you've got a firewall, you
> probably want to disable that (i.e., pass through all packets) as well
> unless there are folks you don't trust on one or the other networks.
> (Your Internet router should do any firewalling required for that.)

In fact, my forwarding rule is that one:
   iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -o ${LAN_PORT} -s ${DSK_NET} -j MASQUERADE

LAN_PORT is my wifi network interface, DSK_NET is my ethernet network. I guess
multicast addresses don't get automatically routed, so this rule may
not be applicable.

br.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.