Re: [tlug] No underscore key for me anymore [SOLVED]

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 11:54 +0900, Shawn wrote:
>  > Editing the xorg.conf file solved both the error message I was getting,
> > and the underscore key problem.
> >
> > Turns out, that in xorg.cong, I had:
> > Option          "XkbLayout"     "jp, jp"
> >
> > Having "jp" twice looked wrong, so I changed it to:
> > Option          "XkbLayout"     "jp"
>
> I still don't have an underscore with
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
> 	Driver		"kbd"
> 	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
> 	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
> 	Option		"XkbModel"	"jp106"
> 	Option		"XkbLayout"	"jp"
> EndSection
>
> Was anything else changed?

Solved for me too!

As per http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=312101 with the only
difference being that since I am using vmware
workstation /usr/lib/vmware  contained the config file that needed to be
modified... /etc/vmware contained a config file that when changed made
booting the guest system impossible

"To solve the problem on a Japanese keyboard put the following two lines
in your ~/.vmware/config file:

xkeymap.usekeycodeMapIfXFree86 = true
xkeymap.keycode.211 = 0x073

You need to use the keycode and scancode for the key that is causing
problems, so the numbers may be different if you have a different kind
of keyboard, of course. You can determine the keycode (211 in my case)
by running `xmodmap -pk` in a terminal and finding your problematic key
in the list. You can determine the scancode (0x073 in my case) by
running `showkey --scancodes` in a console (Ctrl+Alt+F2, for example);
the correct one is the first of the two numbers that are displayed when
you press the key. (Log out and press Ctrl+Alt+F7 to get back to your X
session.)
"

Shawn