[tlug] No underscore key for me anymore

TLUG,

After upgrading to Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.04) on my laptop, I get the following error every time I boot up:

Error activating XKB configuration.
It can happen under various circumstances:
- a bug in libxklavier library
- a bug in X server (xkbcomp, xmodmap utilities)
- X server with incompatible libxkbfile implementation
X server version data:
The X.Org Foundation
10400090
If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
- The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
- The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd

I've tried Googling some of the terms in the error message, and the sites I see say it's something to do with having more than one keyboard layout, and switching between them.

I only have one, standard Japanese, don't do any switching, and it was working fine in Gutsy (Ubuntu 7.10).

One thing that is being affected is that the underscore key doesn't work anymore. I suppose I could just not type anything that has an underscore in it anymore, but I think I'd rather see if this is a software bug.

I really hope it's not an indication of failing hardware. I did get this laptop used, so that possibility looms on the horizon. I'd like to exhaust the software bug possibility before I depress myself with potential keyboard changes or laptop replacement costs.

Any advice would be much appreciated.