Re: [tlug] ubuntu 8.04: firefox 3 beta 5 and 2.0.014 bookmark disaster

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 8:01 PM,  <tlug@example.com> wrote:
> Hi Gernot,
>
> On Monday 12 May 2008 16:14:46 Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I have lost all my bookmarks which are now stored in a .json
>> file.
>
> See this website:
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks

Thanks, that is the one I looked at before... but I missed something critical!

The .json file cannot be "imported", only "restored". When I did that
just now on a new account it worked fine with the current firefox
3.0pre nightly build. Whew! Thousands of needed work-related bookmarks
on the verge of going to /dev/null, not a happy stress.

It took me some time to un-confuse myself regarding the differing ways
in Firefox 2 and 3 of importing/restoring bookmarks. In FF3, exporting
to HTML would allow one to add bookmarks to an existing set of
bookmarks by importing.

Regards, Gernot