Re: [tlug] OT - Shutdown day

On 4/17/08, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
> On 18/04/2008, SL Baur <steve@example.com> wrote:
>
>  >  Thomas Edison has risen from the grave ....

> Yeah, but Tesla's dancin' a jig in his. :)

Sad to say, Tesla got almost no money for his AC power
delivery patent.  You could as well say that the patent troll
phenomenon in the US is Tesla's revenge from the grave on
the US patent system.
   iret

DC power transmission has always been lossier and thus more
expensive to deliver than AC.  Computers work on DC power internally,
notebooks do the conversion before the power hits the box and transformers
tend to be a common point of failure.

Power electronics was the one class I got an A in before I switched majors
to computers and it's been so long ago now, I've forgotten nearly all of the
details ...

Best guess is if they're touting DC, they're just blowing smoke.  The
infrastructure
just isn't there to support it.

-sb