Re: [tlug] The 11th Commandment

On 18/04/2008, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

> On 2008-04-18 05:32 +0900 (Fri), Josh Glover wrote:
>
>  > >  You'd think that if Starling's web framework could [send UTF-8 to
>  > > those clients known to support it, and Shift_JIS (for the .jp site)
>  > > to those not known to support UTF-8], Amazon's could.
> >
>  > Do you need Steve to tell you why that is a logical fallacy, or can
>  > you figure it out on your own?
>
> Or you could just tell me why you don't do this.

I have done; see:

http://tlug.jp/ML/0707/msg01264.html

If you want to know something beyond that, let me know. I may or may
not be able to talk about it. Different rules apply at nomikai, of
course. ;)

>  I'm curious.

If you are curious, there are better ways to elicit information than
being slightly dickish.

>  Perhaps QWeb should be sending Shift_JIS to more clients as well.

Perhaps; perhaps not. Obviously each business needs to make a decision
based on, amongst other things, what serves their customer base the
best. I am fortunate to work for a company where the customer trumps
all other considerations.

Read the previous paragraph carefully, and I think you can figure out
which Amazon has not switched to UTF-8 for most Japanese web pages.

As for this statement:

>  > >  You'd think that if Starling's web framework could [send UTF-8 to
>  > > those clients known to support it, and Shift_JIS (for the .jp site)
>  > > to those not known to support UTF-8], Amazon's could.

your use of the word "could" makes your statement a) a logical
fallacy, and b) a bit dickish. If you would like me to explain (a), I
certainly can. If you need me to explain (b), you may be beyond help.

--
Cheers,
Josh