Re: OSS and getting money for it (was: [tlug] Re: Why Vista Sucks)

On 05/04/2008, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> Josh Glover writes:
>
>   > This is likely true in most cases, but personnel is the most common
>   > cause of failed projects.
>
> URL?  My impression from other sources (Ed Yourdon and SEI, especially
>  Watts Humphrey) is that the most common failure (at least in places
>  that do formal post-mortems) is bad planning and specification, with
>  "mission creep" being a prominent combo of the two.

Let me try to find a source on that. I am pretty sure that it came
from some research Steve McConnell cited in "Professional Software
Development"[1], and I'm also pretty sure it was also in "Peopleware".

Hrm... can't find it right now. I'll keep looking.

But I did find this article (not related to the data I wanted), which
was tasty in the skimming:

http://www.cioupdate.com/reports/article.php/1563701

I'll have to go back and read it closely.

Cheers,
Josh

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Software-Development-Schedules-Successful/dp/0321193679