Re: [tlug] Re: Why Vista Sucks (was: linux: it's becoming ubiquitous)

On 01/04/2008, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

>   > 6. The cost of saving the planet is likely less than 1% of the
>   > combined GDP of the G8 economies
>
> This is nonsense, unless China and India are on other planets.
>  (Having politicians who act like they're on other planets is not good
>  enough.)  Bribing China and India to act like rich countries before
>  they get rich is going to cost a lot more than 1% of the combined GDP
>  of the G8.

Let me go back and check the book; I may have misrepresented his argument.

>   > Steve, what do you think of Jeffrey Sachs? Have you ever met him or
>   > read his academic work?
>
> I've seen him speak.  He's incredibly smart, but the standards of
>  proof in the kind of stuff he does is pretty low.

How *does* one prove the sorts of things he does, short of trying it
out? Do there exist accurate models for the world as a whole 50 years
into the future?

IANAE, but his writing is really accessible to the layman. I just
wondered what other economists thought of his work.

--
Cheers,
Josh