Re: [tlug] Re: rsync efficiency (was: The Mother of All (bash) Commands)

On 01/04/2008, Jim Breen <jimbreen@example.com> wrote:

> I use rsync for updating the WWWJDIC mirrors. Each mirror updates about
>  100Mb of dictionary files each day, of which only a few kb have changed.
>  The file updates usually only take a few seconds. I use make to create
>  a manifest of the files which have changed. The mirror retrieves the
>  manifest then rsyncs the changed files. All very fast and efficient.

Yeah, but you are actually using the tool for the purpose it was
designed for, so you don't see the "true" performance of the
algorithm, which is quite bad for the pathological case.

I would think a professor (Emeritus) of Computer Science would know
that an algorithm's utility is always assessed by its worst-case time
complexity, regardless of best- and average-case performance! ;)

--
Cheers,
Josh