Re: [tlug] Gnome vs. KDE? BSD vs. Linux?

The internet is full of gnome VS kde blog posts but I'd say it's just a matter of taste.
As pointed out for an old laptop you'd be better of with lighter desktops, I personally like fluxbox.

the big concern with gentoo on an old laptop is obviously the compilation time that one could call "The Never Ending Story", so as everyone said I'd advice you to go with a binary distro.
I used to like Arch A LOT in the past but a bad experience when upgrading gnome made me think that it's a little bit too a cutting edge of a distro. Having the latest of the latest packages available all the time is nice, except when the whole system suddenly gets unusable after an upgrade.
I would say that Ubuntu and the likes might be a little bit too fat for an old laptop and the BSDs, well, they're cool but I don't see the point on a laptop. The brand new FreeBSD 7 shows off mad perf benchmarks that make you feel like switching but when you think about it you realize it won't change that much for a desktop use. If I were to build a 8 way server tomorrow I would consider FreeBSD but not for a laptop.

It's been a while since I last tested these but when I used a sluggish laptop a couple of years ago I had a good impression from Vector & Debian for not been bloated from day 1.

Julien

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 8:07 AM, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
On 20/03/2008, Godwin Stewart <gstewart@example.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:17:25 -0400, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com>
>  wrote:
>
>  > I suspect a buildword will take a few hours.
>
> FWIW, it used to take roughly 2 hours on the PIII-500 desktop machine with,
>  IIRC, 384MB or RAM that I was using until a couple of years ago.

Nah, "buildword" will complete almost immediately.

"buildworld", OTOH, will take a while.

;-P

--
Cheers,