Re: [tlug] Getting scim to work

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 11:17:16PM +0100, Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Having now a laptop with FreeBSD 7 up and running, I still have some
> problems. One of them is that I do net get scim to work.
> I use Xfce 4.4.2, gdm and scim is started via scim -d (and ps -xa
> tells me that scim-panel-gtk is running and scim-launcher runs twice)

You use gdm--does that mean that you boot into X?

> export XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM'
> export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
> export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
> export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8

Put those in your shell's .rc file--that is if you're using bash, put it in
.bashrc.  If you're using the default sh then put it in .shrc.  If
you're using tcsh you're on your own.  :) (This is assuming you're
booting into X.)

Not all terminals or programs will support Japanese input.  Most will in
FreeBSD, but a few terminals won't. I don't know about XFce's terminal.
I use mlterm, uxterm or urxvt.  Unfortunately, mrxvt doesn't support
utf-8 though if you want EUC, <modest cough> thanks to a patch I
submitted it is available.

If ctl+space isn't doing anything, that usually means that the program
won't support Japanese input.

Make sure you have the Japanese locale.  locale -a |grep ja_JP

> I am not sure if I have to use .xinitrc or .xsession (one site in the
> net says .xinitrc, another .xsession) I have put in both:

See above--if you're booting into X then use your shell's rc file, if
you're starting it with startx then use .xinitrc.

Keep posting if none of the above helps.  FreeBSD should be relatively
easy to get working with Japanese.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Do we really need weapons for this?
Spike: I just like them. They make me feel all manly.