[tlug] kde4 install question

This is really a bit more generic than just kde4.  In
general is there a way to easily install a package and back
out if you're not happy.  I'm concerned that libs that are
used by other apps will get overwritten and break my system.

I just read a review on kde4.0.  I'm thinking about
installing it.  It looks like it's available on the Ubuntu
repositories so it should be an easy install.  But I'm
nervous...  If things go wrong or I'm not happy with this
major a change, how do I back out?  I'm not currently using
KDE and I'm on Ubuntu 7.04.

Thanks
Steve S.